I made this pie this weekend to celebrate The Kind Diet hitting #1 on The New York Times Bestsellers list. Looks like whole foods, veganism and macrobiotics are coming out of the closet!
The recipe is by Eric LeChasseur, from his book, Love, Eric. He’s also the owner of Seed Kitchen, in Venice, California.
Blueberry Pine Nut Pie
Makes 6 servings
For the Pine Nut Filling:
1 ½ cups pine nuts
2 ounces silken tofu (Mori-Nu brand)
4 tablespoons organic apple sauce
1 teaspoon aluminum-free baking powder
¼ teaspoon sea salt
¼ cup rice syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
For the pie crust:
1 ¾ cups spelt flour
¼ teaspoon sea salt
1/3 cup maple sugar
1/3 cup safflower oil
¼ cup water
For the blueberry topping:
1 ½ cups fresh organic blueberries
1 cup organic apple juice
1 tablespoon kuzu
1 tablespoon agar flakes
To prepare the pine nuts:
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees F.
- Roast the pine nuts lightly on a baking sheet in the oven just until lightly golden in color, approximately 4 to 5 minutes. (Or toast the pine nuts on the stovetop in a skillet)
- Transfer roasted nuts to a food processor and grind into a fine powder.
To make the pie crust:
- Increase the oven temperature to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients.
- IN a small bowl, emulsify the wet ingredients then combine with the dry mixture.
- Knead quickly and allow dough to sit for 10 minutes.
- Roll out the dough to fit six 4-inch pie shells or one 8-inch pie shell. Bake pie crust for 10 minutes and set aside.
To make the pine nut filling and pie:
- Add the remaining ingredients to the pine nuts in a food processor and process until smooth.
- Pour the mixture into the pie shell. Bake for 20 minutes.
To make the blueberry topping:
- In a saucepan, combine the apple juice with the agar over medium-high heat. Simmer until agar has dissolved, about 5 minutes.
- IN a small bowl, dissolve the kuzu with 1 tablespoon of water.
- Whisk the kuzu mixture into the apple juice and continue cooking and whisking until mixture thickens.
- When it has fully thickened, turn off the heat.
- Add the fresh blueberries to the saucepan ad stir the mixture with a spatula.
- Pour over the baked pie.
Allow the pie to cool before serving.